01 Apr 2022, 11:30 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were cautious following the uninspiring lead from Wall St, where the major indices closed off their worst quarterly performance in two years and as the region digested weak data releases.
- European equities (Stoxx 600 +0.6%) opened marginally firmer before extending on gains after positive commentary from Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov.
- Russia's Foreign Minister Lavrov said Russia is preparing a response to Ukraine's proposals, says there has been...
01 Apr 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were cautious following the uninspiring lead from Wall St and regional soft data releases; S&P 500 -1.5%.
- UK reportedly urged Ukraine not to back down and is concerned US, France and Germany will push Ukraine to make significant concessions to Russia.
- DXY is on a firmer footing on a 98 handle, JPY is the laggard in an otherwise contained G10 FX space.
- European equity futures are indicative of a flat open with the Euro Stoxx...
31 Mar 2022, 11:40 by Newsquawk Desk
- European equities (Eurostoxx 50 -0.3%) have faded gains seen at the open on the final trading session of the month.
- Futures in the US are modestly firmer as the NQ (+0.5%) marginally outpaces the ES (+0.1%)
- In FX, DXY has regained 98.00 status, EUR/USD eyes 1.11 to the downside and USD/JPY oscillates near the 122 mark
- Crude benchmarks are suffering in the wake of reports suggesting that the Biden administration is considering a...
31 Mar 2022, 06:55 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks traded cautiously at month-end following the weak lead from the US; S&P 500 -0.6%.
- Ukrainian negotiator said peace talks between Russia and Ukraine will resume online on April 1st.
- DXY attempted to nurse losses but remains on a 97 handle, JPY lags in the G10 FX space as USD/JPY trims losses.
- US President Biden's administration is considering a 'massive' release of oil to combat inflation, according to...
30 Mar 2022, 11:40 by Newsquawk Desk
- European equities (Eurostoxx 55 -0.9%) trade on the backfoot as markets digest the reaction to yesterday's peace talks.
- Regional CPIs from Germany have seen notable jumps from priors on a M/M and Y/Y basis ahead of the mainland metric at 13:00BST/08:00EDT.
- The DXY has slipped below the 98.00 mark, EUR/USD has gained a firmer footing above 1.11, JPY leads in G10 FX.
- US equity futures are indicative of a softer open with the ES...
30 Mar 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks traded mostly positive following the strong lead from the US which was spurred by Ukraine/Russia optimism.
- A western official said they haven’t seen anything so far that has demonstrated Russia is particularly serious about peace talks.
- The DXY remains subdued following yesterday's declines, USD/JPY has continued to fade recent gains.
- European equity futures are indicative of a softer open with the Euro Stoxx 50...
29 Mar 2022, 11:40 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses, Euro Stoxx 50 +2.2%, are firmer across the board in a continuation of the APAC/US handover as Russian-Ukraine talks begin.
- Risk-on that was exacerbated by Ukrainian negotiator Podoliak noted that a ceasefire is being discussed with Russia adding a press conference is to be expected later.
- Updates which further sapped geopolitical premia from crude benchmarks.
- DXY is softer, with EUR elevated amid pronounced yield upside as...
29 Mar 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks traded mostly higher following the gains in the US where growth stocks spearheaded a recovery.
- Russia and Ukraine could pause hostilities as part of a deal which would see Ukraine abandon its push for NATO membership, according to FT.
- European equity futures are indicative of a higher open with the Euro Stoxx 50 future up 0.8% after the cash market closed higher by 0.5% yesterday.
- DXY holds onto 99.0 status, EUR/USD remains on a...
28 Mar 2022, 11:45 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are firmer, extending on overnight futures performance, shrugging off a downbeat APAC handover amid COVID concerns.
- Stateside, futures are contained/marginally softer ahead of a quiet schedule and after a mixed close on Friday; NQ, -0.3%, modestly lags amid yield action.
- Russian Kremlin said face-to-face talks in Turkey with Ukraine are unlikely to commence on Monday, may start on Tuesday.
- AAPL intends to make ~20% less...
28 Mar 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks traded mostly lower with the region cautious heading into month-end and following the Shanghai lockdown announcement.
- The next round of face-to-face talks between Russia and Ukraine will be held in Turkey on March 28th-30th.
- US President Biden stated that Russian President Putin cannot remain in power; White House official later said Biden was not calling for a change of regime in Russia.
- European equity futures are...
25 Mar 2022, 15:30 by Newsquawk Desk
- MON: US Dallas Fed Manufacturing Business Index (Mar), Retail Inventories (Feb).
- TUE: BoJ SOO (Mar); Japanese Unemployment (Feb), German GfK Consumer Sentiment (Apr), US Consumer Confidence (Mar), Australian Federal Budget.
- WED: Japanese Retail Sales (Feb), German Import Price (Feb), EZ Consumer Confidence Final (Mar) German Prelim. CPI (Mar), US ADP (Mar), GDP Final (Q4), PCE Prices Final (Q4).
- THU: OPEC+, CNB Policy Announcement;...
25 Mar 2022, 11:19 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses came under pressure in early trade before seeing a mild recovery; US equity futures post mild gains.
- "There is progress in ceasefire negotiations with Russia", according to Ukrainian President Advisor cited by Sky News Arabia.
- The Russian military will submit a proposal to Russian President Putin on how best to respond to NATO beefing up its Eastern flank, according to the Kremlin
- EU is to work towards the aim of attaining...
25 Mar 2022, 06:47 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks traded mixed with the growth and tech-led momentum from the US fading overnight.
- European equity futures are indicative of a slightly higher open with the Euro Stoxx 50 future up 0.1% after the cash market closed lower by 0.2% yesterday.
- DXY hovers around 98.50, EUR/USD is back above 1.10 and USD/JPY has pulled back below 122.00.
- The US and EU have struck a deal for the US to supply the bloc with additional LNG and lower...
24 Mar 2022, 10:59 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses were relatively flat at the open but saw a bout of impetus amid above-forecast PMIs; however, this was shortlived with bourses now negative, Euro Stoxx 50 -0.6%.
- US futures are in-fitting directionally but diverging in terms of magnitudes, posting gains of circa. 0.4% ahead of multiple risk events.
- DXY is firmer and ever closer to 99.00, with NOK bolstered from post-Norges Bank commentary with CHF unphased by the SNB.
24 Mar 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks traded cautiously after a soft close on Wall St. which saw the S&P 500 finish the session lower by 1.3%.
- The US will announce a package of sanctions designations on Russian political figures and oligarchs on Thursday.
- European equity futures are indicative of a slightly higher open with the Euro Stoxx 50 future up 0.2% after the cash market closed lower by 1.5% yesterday.
- DXY remains underpinned but sub-99.00,...
23 Mar 2022, 11:00 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are pressured, Euro Stoxx 50 -0.6%, with the exception of the FTSE 100 +0.3% amid crude action.
- US futures remain softer, ES -0.3%, but haven't slipped much further amid the above pressure in Europe as Russia-Ukraine tensions remain elevated
- DXY remains bid amid hawkish Fed rhetoric, USD/JPY continues to climb while Riksbank/CNB support SEK & CZK
- Fed's Mester (2022, 2024 voter) thinks 50bps increases will be needed at...
23 Mar 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were positive as the region took encouragement from the strong US and European leads.
- Fed's Mester (2022 voter) said she thinks 50bps increases will be needed at some meetings based on her forecasts.
- DXY hovers around 98.50, USD/JPY extended its rise to 121.40, GBP is on the front-foot ahead of the Spring Statement.
- WTI and Brent gained as storm damage to the CPC pipeline could impact up to 1mln bpd of...
22 Mar 2022, 11:00 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses have been erring higher after a contained open, Euro Stoxx 50 +0.9%, with upside occurring as crude and bonds slipped further.
- US futures are in-fitting directionally but magnitudes more contained, a slew of speakers ahead.
- Crude benchmarks are pressured, but off lows, amid China COVID and EU energy price cap updates.
- DXY remains underpinned after an initial pullback from 99.00, while JPY lags with USD/JPY testing...
22 Mar 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were mostly positive following a predominantly soft close in the US; Nasdaq 100 -0.3%.
- Fed Chair Powell said if the FOMC needs to raise the Fed Funds Rate by more than 25bps at a meeting or meetings, they will do so.
- Ukrainian President Zelenskiy said he’s prepared to discuss a commitment from Ukraine not to seek NATO membership in exchange for a ceasefire.
- European equity futures are indicative of a slightly softer open with the...
21 Mar 2022, 11:00 by Newsquawk Desk
- Ukrainian President Zelensky said he is ready to negotiate with Russian President Putin; however, Turkey says Putin is not ready
- Russia's Kremlin says the progress of peace talks with Ukraine is not as big as it should be
- European bourses/US futures are pressured but relatively contained as developments within European hours have been limited
- China Eastern Airlines jet, a Boeing 737, crashed in Guangxi, BA -8.3% in...
21 Mar 2022, 09:00 by Newsquawk Desk
- MON: PBoC LPR, Japan Vernal Equinox Day; German Producer Prices (Feb), US National Activity Index (Feb).
- TUE: UK PPI (Feb), German Flash PMIs (Mar), US New Home Sales (Feb), EZ Consumer Confidence Flash (Mar), Australian Flash PMIs (Mar).
- WED: NBH Policy Announcement; EZ Current Account/Construction Output (Jan), UK PSNB (Feb), US Richmond Fed Composite Index (Mar), UK Budget.
- THU: Norges Bank, SNB, SARB & Banxico Policy...
21 Mar 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were choppy despite the strong close on Wall St. last week; best weekly performance for the S&P 500 since Nov'20.
- Ukrainian President Zelensky said he is ready to negotiate with Russian President Putin; Turkish official says Putin is not ready.
- The EU is reportedly to consider an embargo on Russian oil this week as Biden heads to Europe.
- European equity futures are indicative of a slightly softer open with the Euro Stoxx 50...
18 Mar 2022, 11:00 by Newsquawk Desk
- US President Biden will speak with Chinese President Xi at 09:00EDT/13:00GMT
- Biden's administration reportedly hardened its stance towards China ahead of the call
- US futures and European bourses are pressured, as sentiment has drifted following a contained European cash open
- Ukrainian Presidential aide Zhovkva says talks with Russia are progressing, but only slowly; Kremlin says that Kyiv is slowing talks
- USD grinds...
18 Mar 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks eventually traded mostly positive following on from Wall St's best 3-day gain since 2020.
- BoJ kept monetary policy settings unchanged as expected; will take additional easing steps as necessary.
- US President Biden's administration reportedly hardened its stance towards China ahead of the Biden-Xi call.
- European equity futures are indicative of a slightly firmer open with the Euro Stoxx 50 future up 0.1% after the cash market...
17 Mar 2022, 11:00 by Newsquawk Desk
- Ukrainian Defense Minister says so far there is nothing to satisfy us in negotiations with Russia
- Russian Kremlin says their delegation is putting colossal energy into Ukraine peace talks, conditions are absolutely clear; pushes back on FT reports
- European bourses are predominantly negative, Euro Stoxx 50 -0.4%, after a relatively constructive open; US futures in-fitting
- DXY continues to unwind its upside with GBP awaiting BoE and Lira the...