03 Jul 2020, 06:54 by RANsquawk Desk
- Asian equity markets were mostly higher after a positive post-NFP close on Wall St., albeit stocks finished off best levels
- US COVID-19 cases rose yesterday by over 54k, Texas hospitalizations rose to a 4th consecutive high with Governor Abbot imposing a mandatory face mask requirement
- Chinese Caixin Services PMI printed the highest in a decade and Caixin Composite PMI added to this week’s streak of encouraging PMIs
- The DXY heads into the EU open modestly firmer and above the 97.00 mark with FX...
02 Jul 2020, 11:48 by RANsquawk Desk
- Sentiment remains stronger this morning following a positive APAC handover ahead of today’s heavy US data slate
- DXY is softer below the 97.00 handle to the benefit of most major peers while the core debt complex is marginally firmer
- Senior EU official is to publish a compromise EU budget and Recovery Fund proposal next week, will continue to negotiate until the EU leader summit
- US daily coronavirus cases increased by over 50,000 for the first time ever after California, Texas and Arizona all...
02 Jul 2020, 06:54 by RANsquawk Desk
- Asian equity markets traded positively after the region took advantage of the mild tailwinds from Wall St
- FOMC Minutes saw the Fed reiterate its commitment to utilizing a full range of tools to support the economy
- Minutes also noted that participants generally indicated support for outcome-based forward guidance
- US daily coronavirus cases increased by over 50,000 for the first time. Apple re-closed 30 stores in seven states
- In FX, the DXY remains lacklustre, EUR/USD sits just above 1.1250,...
30 Jun 2020, 12:01 by RANsquawk Desk
- Price action has been choppy on month, quarter and half-year end; European bourses are subdued with US futures posting similar performance
- China's legislature passed the Hong Kong security law as expected; further details expected later today
- US Commerce Secretary Ross said regulations providing preferential treatment to Hong Kong are suspended and further steps to remove differential treatment for Hong Kong are being assessed
- As such, China's Foreign Ministry reiterates that they will take...
30 Jun 2020, 06:54 by RANsquawk Desk
- Asian equity markets traded higher as the region took its cue from the firm performance on Wall St
- Chinese Manufacturing PMI and Non-Manufacturing PMI topped estimates
- China's legislature passed the Hong Kong security law as expected. US Commerce Secretary announced that HK’s special status is revoked
- WHO Chief Tedros said that although many countries have made some progress, the pandemic is actually speeding up...
29 Jun 2020, 11:29 by RANsquawk Desk
- Choppy price action seen across equities heading into month/quarter/HY-end
- California Governor Newsom told Imperial County to shut back down amid the COVID-19 surge and ordered 7 counties including LA to close bars
- US and China will place tit-for-tat visa restrictions on individuals over Hong Kong
- In FX, DXY remains softer, EUR the outperformer and GBP weaker, whilst the UST curve is modestly steeper
- Looking ahead,...
29 Jun 2020, 06:55 by RANsquawk Desk
- Focus remains on the COVID-19 case count with the number of infections in the US now surpassing 2.5mln
- As such, Asian bourses began the week lower across the board with some areas in the US back-pedaling on reopening measures
- The DXY heads into the EU open on the backfoot with GBP an outperformer in the G10 space ahead of upcoming Brexit talks
- However, reports note that senior MPs in the Conservative Party are urging Brexit negotiators to...
26 Jun 2020, 11:46 by RANsquawk Desk
- Sentiment remains somewhat choppy as European bourses post gains over 1% while US futures are flat/mixed but have been grinding higher recently
- Federal Reserve stress tests results stated that the Fed is to cap dividend payments and ban share repurchases in Q3 for 34 of the largest banks; US banks are subdued in the pre-market
- Nike earnings missed on both EPS and revenue, as such trade lower by ~3% in pre-market
- Fox poll showed former VP Biden leads US President Trump in Florida, Georgia, North...
26 Jun 2020, 06:54 by RANsquawk Desk
- Asia-Pac equity markets traded mostly higher as the region took impetus from Wall St's financial-led gains after US regulators approved the relaxing of Volcker rules
- However, some advances in banking names retraced after-market following the Fed stress tests
- Fed stress tests results stated that the Fed is to cap dividend payments and ban share repurchases in Q3 for 34 of the largest banks
- Texas and Florida have halted the next phase of reopening’s for their economies, New Jersey continues with...
25 Jun 2020, 11:51 by RANsquawk Desk
- Choppy trade throughout the European session amid a lack of fresh fundamental catalysts ahead of key events
- US experienced its largest single day increase in new COVID-19 cases of more than 36,000
- US President Trump is losing "significant" ground in six battleground states that secured his 2016 electoral College victory, NYT reports
- In FX, DXY retains a 97.000+ status, Kiwi consolidates yesterday’s losses, Cable grinds higher; US yields are modestly expanding upon yesterday’s...
25 Jun 2020, 06:54 by RANsquawk Desk
- Asian stocks suffered from spillover selling after the weakness seen in global counterparts amid mounting COVID-19 concerns stateside
- US experienced its largest single day increase in new COVID-19 cases of more than 36,000
- University of Washington IHME study forecasts US coronavirus cases to pick up in August and September with the death toll to reach 180K by October 1st
- The DXY held on to gains above 97.00, EUR/USD hovers around 1.1250, GBP/USD maintains 1.24 status
- ECB policymakers...
24 Jun 2020, 11:46 by RANsquawk Desk
- Sentiment is downbeat with US futures faring better than EU peers, following a tentative APAC session before stocks deteriorated in EU hours amid USTR updates
- US is reportedly targeting USD 3.1bln of exports from France, Germany, Spain and the UK with new tariffs; newsflow which sparked further risk-off and sent US 10yr yield briefly below 70bp
- DOJ and State AG's are reportedly showing increasing interest in a possible antitrust probe into Apple regarding the App Store, via Politico
- RBNZ maintained...
24 Jun 2020, 06:54 by RANsquawk Desk
- Asian equity markets traded with a slight positive bias after momentum from global peers provided the initial constructive setting for the region
- This followed a positive lead from Wall St. where the Nasdaq printed all-time highs, although some gains were trimmed as US COVID concerns mounted
- A Texas County Official said that the Houston area COVID-19 ICU beds are to hit capacity in 11 days
- The DXY was subdued below 97.00, EUR/USD and GBP/USD remain above 1.13 and 1.25 respectively
23 Jun 2020, 11:42 by RANsquawk Desk
- Sentiment is firmer this morning after EZ PMIs and following overnight US-China volatility which prompted a swift clarification from Officials and President Trump
- White House Trade Advisor Navarro said the US-China trade deal is over due to Beijing not alerting the US on COVID-19 sooner
- However, Navarro later clarified these were out of context and Trump tweeted that the deal is fully intact
- EZ & German Flash PMIs beat exp. but remain in contractionary territory while the French reading eclipsed...
23 Jun 2020, 06:54 by RANsquawk Desk
- Asian equity markets traded mostly positive, but risk sentiment overnight saw volatility amid comments from White House Trade Adviser Navarro
- White House Trade Adviser Navarro said the trade deal with China "is over", but later clarified his comments were taken out of context
- US President Trump tweeted the China trade deal is fully intact and hopefully they will continue to live up to the agreement.
- US Treasury Secretary Mnuchin said there...
22 Jun 2020, 11:51 by RANsquawk Desk
- European bourses are off lows in choppy trade but have pulled-back slightly to unchanged/mixed; stateside, futures are firmer but off highs
- Germany coronavirus reproduction rate surged to 2.88 on Sunday from 1.79 the day before based on a 4-day average, while the 7-day average was 2.03; albeit, caveated by RKI due to the small case number
- UK PM Johnson is to unveil latest lockdown easing plan and review regarding 2-metre rule on Tuesday; separately, Chancellor Sunak...
22 Jun 2020, 06:54 by RANsquawk Desk
- Asian equity markets began the week cautiously as sentiment was clouded by reports of increasing COVID-19 infections rates globally
- WHO reported the largest singe-day increase of global infections, US cases rose above the 7-day average and Germany’s r-value stands at 2.88
- The PBoC maintained its 1-year and 5-year Loan Prime Rates at 3.85% and 4.65% respectively as expected
- DXY heads into the EU open softer, EUR/USD oscillates around 1.12 and...
19 Jun 2020, 12:01 by RANsquawk Desk
- European bourses and US futures have been choppy with spurs of volatility on quad witching but retain an underlying bid
- Texas coronavirus cases rose by 3516 to a total of nearly 100,000 which was the largest daily increase on record for the state
- China is reportedly planning to step up purchases of US farm goods following on from discussions.
- Fox News poll showed former VP Biden leading US President Trump by 50% vs. 38% (Prev. 48% vs. 40%), with the survey conducted June 13th-16th
- FX sees...
19 Jun 2020, 06:54 by RANsquawk Desk
- Asian equity markets attempted to shrug-off Wall Street’s pre-quadruple witching indecision with a slightly upbeat tone seen in the region
- US Assistant Secretary of State for the Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs Stilwell said China’s attitude in Hawaii talks cannot be described as forthcoming
- FX markets were relatively contained overnight with the DXY consolidating just below weekly highs around 97.50
- Energy Intel tweeted the mood at the JMMC wasn’t very positive according to delegates;...
18 Jun 2020, 11:51 by RANsquawk Desk
- US futures are mixed/flat in a choppy session for sentiment thus far which has been dictated by a downbeat APAC handover and further COVID-19 updates
- The COVID-19 outbreak in Beijing is now under control, according to a Chinese CDC expert – subsequently, caveated that more cases will emerge in the coming days
- China said the two sides articulated their positions in the meeting between top diplomat Yang and US Secretary of State Pompeo in Hawaii and agreed this was constructive dialogue
- SNB left rates...
18 Jun 2020, 06:54 by RANsquawk Desk
- Asian stocks traded mostly negative following a predominantly softer handover from Wall St. where focus remains on the COVID-19 case count
- US-China tensions also remained in focus as China responded to President Trump’s recent signing of the Uighur human rights legislation
- The DXY was relatively flat around the 97.00 level, EUR/USD and GBP/USD were uneventful overnight around 1.1250 and 1.2550 respectively
- Former US National Security Adviser Bolton’s book claims US President Trump asked Chinese...
17 Jun 2020, 11:54 by RANsquawk Desk
- European bourses have been choppy and are currently modestly firmer with US future posting similar performance at present
- Crude downside seemingly led the deterioration in general risk sentiment with WTI & Brent still negative on the day; separately, DXY remains towards top-end of the day’s range
- Group of prominent republican operatives that includes former officials from the Trump and George W. Bush administrations are launching a super PAC to turn out GOP voters for Joe Biden in November,...
17 Jun 2020, 06:54 by RANsquawk Desk
- Asian equity markets failed to fully sustain the positive handover from Wall St with regional bourses indecisive amid geopolitical tensions and COVID-19 fears
- Japanese trade data showed a larger than expected slump in Exports Y/Y, with Japan’s US-bound exports at the fastest pace of decline since March 2009
- The DXY held on to the prior day’s gains around the 97.00 level with EUR/USD below 1.1300 and GBP/USD briefly below 1.2550
- White House is in deep discussions on new stimulus worth at least USD...
16 Jun 2020, 11:49 by RANsquawk Desk
- Sentiment is firmer this morning following the positive APAC lead which was bolstered by a draft US infrastructure plan; US futures are off highs, but are still over 1% firmer on the session
- US President Trump administration is working on a draft plan for USD 1tln infrastructure proposal to stimulate the economy
- North Korea demolished the inter-Korean joint liaison office & separately, Indian soldiers have reportedly been killed after a clash with Chinese soldiers
- BoJ kept policy settings...
16 Jun 2020, 06:55 by RANsquawk Desk
- Asia-Pac bourses notched considerable gains as the region took impetus from Wall Street's recovery
- Optimism in the US was spurred by the pace of infections slowing in key US states and the Fed’s decision to directly purchase corporate bonds
- WHO said more than 100 cases have now been confirmed in Beijing and China warned there is a very high risk of the new Beijing coronavirus cluster spreading
- The BoJ kept policy settings unchanged but noted the size of market operations and lending facilities to...