24 May 2022, 11:45 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are subdued following the Snap-headwind, further hawkish ECB rhetoric and disappointing Flash PMIs; particularly for the UK, Euro Stoxx 50 -0.9%.
- US futures are similarly subdued and the Nasdaq, -1.7%, is taking the brunt of the pressure as tech names are hit across the board, ES -1.1%
- ECB’s Lagarde elaborated on Monday’s blog post, sparking a hawkish EUR and Bund reaction, pressuring the DXY to below 102.00
- Cable fell by a...
24 May 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks mostly declined after Snap's profit warning soured risk sentiment and weighed on US tech names.
- US President Biden said there is no change to the policy of strategic ambiguity regarding Taiwan.
- European equity futures are indicative of a weaker open with Eurostoxx 50 -0.6% after the cash market closed higher by 1.4% yesterday.
- DXY is marginally firmer on a 102 handle, EUR/USD stopped just shy of 1.07 and antipodeans lag in G10...
23 May 2022, 11:45 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are mixed/modestly-firmer, Euro Stoxx 50 +0.3%, as the initial upside momentum waned amid fresh China COVID updates and hawkish ECB commentary
- Stateside, futures are firmer but similarly off best levels, ES +0.5%, with recent/familiar themes very much in focus ahead of a thin US-specific docket
- EUR lifted and outperforming amid hawkish commentary from ECB’s Lagarde, Kiwi in close proximity amid shadow board guidance
- WTI and...
23 May 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were mixed as momentum waned due to China's COVID woes and record Beijing infections
- Australian Labor Party leader Albanese was elected as Australia’s PM and was sworn in on Monday
- Russian negotiator Medinsky said Russia is ready to continue stalled peace talks with Ukraine
- European equity futures are indicative of a firmer open with Eurostoxx 50 +1% after the cash market closed higher by 0.5% on...
20 May 2022, 11:35 by Newsquawk Desk
- European indices have started the week's last trading day positively and have extended on gains in early trade
- US equity futures have also been trending higher since the reopening of futures trading overnight
- DXY bound tightly to 103.000, but only really firm relative to Yen on renewed risk appetite
- Debt futures reverse course amidst pre-weekend risk revival, partly prompted by PBoC LPR cut
- WTI and Brent July futures...
20 May 2022, 06:46 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks picked themselves up from recent losses as risk sentiment improved from the choppy US mood; S&P 500 -0.6%.
- European equity futures are indicative of a higher open with Eurostoxx 50 +1.1% after the cash market closed lower by 1.4% yesterday.
- Russia's Kremlin said Russia will demilitarise regions near the Donbas and forces will take all of the Donetsk and Luhansk regions.
- DXY sits on a 102 handle, EUR/USD briefly rose above...
19 May 2022, 11:45 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are pressured across the board in a broader risk-off move after yesterday's Wall St. sell-off
- Europe not supported by the brief APAC respite on Shanghai's reopening updates, Euro Stoxx 50 -2.3%; ES -1.2%
- DXY is pressured as havens and antipodeans are bid on risk and fiscal/fundamental factors respectively
- Debt resumes its haven rally, with Bunds eclipsing 154.00 and USTs near 120.00
- Crude curtailed...
19 May 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were pressured on spillover selling after the worst day on Wall St in almost two years; S&P 500 -4%
- Shanghai Vice Mayor said Shanghai will expand work resumption in areas with no COVID risk in early June.
- European equity futures are indicative of a weaker open with Eurostoxx 50 -0.6% after the cash market closed lower by 1.4% yesterday.
- DXY remains on a 103 handle, EUR/USD hovers around the 1.05 mark and AUD Leads G10 FX...
18 May 2022, 11:45 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are rangebound and relatively directionless, Euro Stoxx 50 U/C, taking impetus from a mixed APAC session which failed to sustain US upside.
- DXY supported, but off best, as GBP slips on marginally sub-forecast CPI while EUR fails to derive support from ECB officials repeating summer guidance
- Gilts the noted outperformer post-CPI, lifting Bunds and USTs with them initially, though the latter two have failed to sustain such...
18 May 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks traded mixed as regional bourses only partially sustained the momentum from global peers; S&P 500 closed +2%.
- Fed Chair Powell said the Fed will not hesitate to move past neutral and will continue raising rates until they see inflation coming down.
- European equity futures are indicative of a marginally firmer open with Eurostoxx 50 +0.2% after the cash market closed higher by 1.5% yesterday.
- DXY remains on a 103 handle,...
17 May 2022, 11:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are firmer across the board, Euro Stoxx 50 +1.7%, taking impetus from and extending on a positive APAC handover as the region's COVID situation improves
- US futures posting similar performance, ES +1.8%, ahead of Retail Sales and multiple Fed speakers including Powell
- EUR lifted and Bunds dented in wake of ECB's hawk-Knot mentioning a 50bp move should not be excluded if data warrants it
- A remark which lifted EUR/USD above...
17 May 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were positive but with gains capped after the uninspiring lead from Wall St; SPX -0.34%, NDX -1.16%.
- EU's Borrell said difficulties remain regarding the required unanimity on the proposed oil ban.
- European equity futures are indicative of a higher open with Eurostoxx 50 +0.9% after the cash market closed down 0.5% yesterday.
- DXY is contained on a 104 handle, JPY lags in G10 FX, AUD leads post-RBA...
16 May 2022, 11:35 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are mixed, Euro Stoxx 50 -0.6%, following a similar APAC session with impetus from Shanghai's reopening offset by activity data and geopolitics
- Stateside, futures are lower across the board, ES -0.4%, with the NQ marginally lagging as yields lift; Fed's Williams due later before Powell on Tuesday
- Sweden & Finland are moving forward with NATO bids, with Russia pushing back against this; no progress expected today on the EU's 6th sanctions...
16 May 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks traded mixed after disappointing Chinese activity data clouded over the early momentum from Friday’s rally on Wall St.
- Shanghai will gradually start reopening businesses as of Monday following weeks of strict lockdown.
- European equity futures are indicative of a lower open with Eurostoxx 50 -0.3% after the cash market closed up 2.5% on Friday.
- Turkish President Erdogan’s top adviser Kalin said that Turkey is not closing its door...
13 May 2022, 11:35 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are firmer as the rebound from Thursday's selloff continues, Euro Stoxx 50 +1.3%; US futures similarly bolstered, ES +1.0%
- Elon Musk says the Twitter (TWTR) deal is temporarily on hold, pending details; TWTR -20% in pre-market
- DXY is off YTD highs but has regained a firmer footing on the session; JPY slips as sentiment recovers
- Core debt has bounced back to unchanged for EGBs after conceding ground on the risk recovery; US...
13 May 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were firmer as risk momentum picked up following on from the volatile session on Wall St.
- Fed Chair Powell said whether a soft landing can be executed or not may depend on factors that they cannot control.
- European equity futures are indicative of a higher open with Eurostoxx 50 +1.1% after the cash market closed down 0.9% yesterday.
- DXY has taken a breather from recent advances, EUR/USD remains sub-1.04, antipodeans attempt to...
12 May 2022, 11:45 by Newsquawk Desk
- US futures are lower across the board though the magnitude is less extreme vs Europe, ES -0.6%, Euro Stoxx 50 -2.5%
- DXY has climbed to a fresh YTD peak, amid broad FX pressure ex-JPY which is supported on haven premium
- As such, core debt has continued to lift with accompanying yields retreating further; US curve flattening pre-supply
- Crude is pressured but off lows following the Russian Kremlin on Finland's NATO bid and N. Korea firing a...
12 May 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were pressured after the losses on Wall St where the major indices whipsawed in the aftermath of the firmer than expected US CPI data.
- European equity futures are indicative of a softer open with Eurostoxx 50 -2.3% after the cash market closed with gains of 2.6% yesterday.
- DXY traded indecisively around 104.00, antipodeans lag, USD/JPY is back below 130.00.
- The crypto collapse persisted with Bitcoin breaching the 27,000 level to...
11 May 2022, 11:55 by Newsquawk Desk
- Stateside, futures are bolstered though with gains marginally more contained vs European-peers going into today's inflation data, ES +1.0%
- Greenback grounded in advance of US CPI as Treasury yields recede and curve re-flattens, DXY slips further below 104.00 and sub-103.50 vs fresh 2022 peak at 104.190 on Monday.
- As such, peers across the board are making gains vs USD; antipodeans leading on base-metals and CHF a relative outperformer after Tuesday's...
11 May 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks traded mixed following the choppy performance on Wall Street.
- Ukrainian gas transit system operator chief said Russian occupying forces started taking transit gas and sending it to pro-Russian separatist regions.
- European equity futures are indicative of a higher open with Eurostoxx 50 +0.9% after the cash market closed with gains of 0.8% yesterday.
- DXY trades a touch softer after stalling ahead of 104.00, antipodeans lead in the...
10 May 2022, 11:45 by Newsquawk Desk
- European equities feel some reprieve following the prior session’s selloff; Euro Stoxx 50 +1.2%; US futures similarly bolstered.
- USD retains a firm bid with peers mixed across the board; JPY outpaces while USD/CHF nears parity.
- Core debt continues to bounce after an early breather, action was intensified post-Bobl/Gilt supply.
- Crude benchmarks are pressured, but yet to approach overnight lows, with fundamentals focused on familiar...
10 May 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were mostly negative after the resumed sell-off on Wall St where the S&P 500 slipped beneath 4,000 for the first time since March 2021
- EU's Von Der Leyen tweeted that progress was made with Hungary but further work is needed.
- European equity futures are indicative of a marginally higher open with Eurostoxx 50 +0.2% after the cash market closed lower by 2.8% yesterday.
- DXY pulled back from YTD highs and the 104 level,...
09 May 2022, 11:25 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are lower across the board, Euro Stoxx 50 -1.4%, in a continuation of the APAC handover amid multiple fundamental narratives.
- Stateside, US futures are similarly hindered, ES -1.7%, with the NQ marginally lagging given renewed yield upside.
- Russian President Putin, in his Victory Day speech, says you are fighting for the security of Russia now; says NATO was creating threats at our borders.
- USD remains bid but is marginally...
09 May 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks declined amid recent upside in yields and as participants digested a slowdown in Chinese trade data
- US equity futures remained weak; European equity futures are indicative of a softer open
- EU ambassadors met on Sunday and failed to agree on a Russian oil ban deal. Ambassadors will meet again on Monday or Tuesday
- In FX, DXY remained firm against G10s across the board; Antipodeans underperformed
06 May 2022, 11:55 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are subdued across the board, Euro Stoxx 50 -1.1%, reacting to the late-doors pressure in Wall St.
- Currently, US futures are modestly softer but relatively tentative overall going into the NFP release and subsequent Fed speak.
- EUR bid post hawkish commentary from ECB's Villeroy amid multiple other Central Bank speakers
- As such, EGBs have dropped dragging USTs down with them sending respective 10yr yields to 1.08% and 3.07%...