05 May 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- Fed hiked rates by 50bps as expected and will begin trimming its balance sheet on June 1st.
- Powell said 50bps increases should be on the table at the next couple of meetings and that a 75bps increase is not something they are actively considering.
- APAC stocks traded positively following the strong handover from Wall St.; SPX +2.97%.
- European equity futures are indicative of a stronger open with Eurostoxx 50 +2.4% after the cash market...
04 May 2022, 11:45 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses, Euro Stoxx 50 -0.3%, are modestly softer after another subdued but limited APAC handover amid ongoing regional closures.
- US futures remain in tight pre-FOMC ranges, with participants also awaiting ISM Services and ADP.
- WTI and Brent are bid amid the EU's 6th round of Russian sanctions, a complete ban on Russian oil.
- However, sources indicate that Hungary and Slovakia will receive an extended phase-out...
04 May 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were cautious amid holiday closures and as markets braced for the incoming FOMC announcement.
- European equity futures are indicative of a marginally positive open with Eurostoxx 50 +0.1% after the cash market closed higher by 0.8% yesterday.
- DXY is contained around the 103.50 mark with FX markets largely uneventful overnight.
- US Secretary of State Blinken is to outline his China policy on Thursday at...
03 May 2022, 11:45 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are firmer across the board, Euro Stoxx 50 +0.6%, following late-door Wall St. upside; though, the FTSE 100 -0.5% lags as it catches up from Monday's holiday.
- Stateside, futures are modestly firmer/flat on the session but have been rangebound throughout the European morning
- DXY struggles to gain firm direction as global yields err higher with EUR & GBP bolstered on their yield movements
- AUD outperforms following an...
03 May 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were unable to benefit from the late rally on Wall St. and traded mixed amid key market closures.
- RBA hiked rates by 25bps to 0.35% (exp. 15bps hike). RBA said it will require a further lift in interest rates during the period ahead.
- European equity futures are indicative of a firmer open with Eurostoxx 50 +1.2% after the cash market closed lower by 1.8% yesterday.
- DXY is relatively flat vs. peers, AUD the clear...
02 May 2022, 11:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are lower across the board, Euro Stoxx 50 -1.60%, following a subdued APAC handover amid holiday-thinned conditions, soft data and COVID concerns.
- German Final Manufacturing PMI; "The survey's output index is now in contraction territory for the first time since the initial COVID shutdowns in the first half of 2020, with a similar situation for new orders".
- USD remains bid but has slipped from best levels and is yet to test last week's best for the...
02 May 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks declined amid mass holiday closures, weak Chinese PMIs and upcoming key risk events.
- Germany could end its dependence on Russian oil by the end of summer, according to reports.
- European equity futures are indicative of a weaker open with Eurostoxx 50 -1.3% after the cash market closed higher by 0.7% on Friday.
- DXY heads into the EU open on a firmer footing with NZD and JPY leading losses vs. the...
29 Apr 2022, 11:47 by Newsquawk Desk
- European equities remain on the front foot on the last trading day of the month
- State-side futures were dented overnight amid after-hours losses in Amazon and Apple
- Dollar bulls book profits into month end and DXY pulls back further from near 104.000 peak
- CBR opted for a bigger-than-forecast 300bp rate cut, and Kremlin said it is mulling Gold peg
- Looking ahead, highlights include US March PCE, US Chicago PMI,...
29 Apr 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks gained after the firm lead from the US but with advances in the region capped by disappointing earnings from Amazon and Apple.
- European equity futures are indicative of a higher open with Eurostoxx 50 +1.5% after the cash market closed higher by 1.1% yesterday.
- DXY has pulled back from recent advances but retains 103 status, activity currencies outperform G10 peers.
- Crude futures held on to yesterday's gains after Germany...
28 Apr 2022, 11:40 by Newsquawk Desk
- Equities in Europe continue to gain heading into month-end, with overall sentiment across stocks bolstered
- US equity futures are firmer across the board, with the NQ clearly outpacing its peers; Meta +17% pre-market
- BoJ maintained policy settings and forward guidance, will conduct fixed-rate JGB buying operations on every working day
- EU energy groups are reportedly preparing to meet Russian President Putin's terms for gas, according to...
28 Apr 2022, 06:48 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were higher across the board amid a slew of earnings updates and a dovish BoJ; US futs were supported by Meta (+18.3% after-hours).
- BoJ maintained policy settings and forward guidance, will conduct fixed-rate JGB buying operations on every working day.
- Russia is planning referendums on the official accession of the Donbas region in mid-May.
- European equity futures are indicative of a higher open with Eurostoxx 50 +0.6% after...
27 Apr 2022, 11:33 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses recovered from the losses seen at the cash open, with the region currently posting board-based gains
- US equity futures see slightly more pronounced gains vs Europe following yesterday’s hefty losses
- Greenback continues to grind higher in its guise of global reserve and prime safe haven with DXY inching closer to 103.000
- Russia's Gazprom has halted gas supplies to Bulgaria and Poland due to lack of payment in...
27 Apr 2022, 06:51 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were mostly negative after the heavy losses in the US; SPX -2.81%, NDX -3.87%
- US Secretary of State Blinken said the US has not yet seen a sign that Russian President Putin is serious regarding meaningful negotiations on Ukraine.
- European equity futures are indicative of a softer open with Eurostoxx 50 future -0.4% after the cash market closed lower by 1.0% yesterday.
- DXY has held on to recent spoils above 102, AUD outperforms in...
26 Apr 2022, 11:34 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses feel some reprieve following the bout of selling seen in recent sessions
- US equity futures trade relatively flat with a mild downside bias after trimming earlier losses
- Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov said Russia will continue peace talks with Ukraine; Germany will make an announcement on sending tanks to Ukraine
- Dollar mixed as broad risk appetite returns after Monday’s flight to safety; Euro and Pound flounder as DXY eyes...
26 Apr 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were mostly higher with bourses in the region encouraged after the rebound on Wall Street; S&P 500 +0.6%, NDX +1.3%.
- Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov said Russia will continue peace talks with Ukraine.
- Twitter (TWTR) is to be bought by Elon Musk for USD 44bln or 54.20/shr in cash and will become a privately held company upon completion of the transaction.
- European equity futures are indicative of a firmer open with...
25 Apr 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks traded negatively after last Friday's stock rout on Wall Street; S&P 500 posted its worst day since March 7th.
- Ukraine offered Russia a special round of talks to be held in Mariupol.
- European equity futures are indicative of a lower open with Eurostoxx 50 -1.7% after the cash market closed lower by 2.2% on Friday.
- DXY strengthened amid the overnight risk-aversion, antipodeans lag, EUR gains fleeting vs. USD...
22 Apr 2022, 11:40 by Newsquawk Desk
- Equities are pressured across the board with Europe reacting to hawkish Central Bank commentary and the subsequent subdued APAC/Wall St. handover
- US futures are modestly softer after pivoting contained APAC parameters, today is the last day before Fed blackout
- DXY continues to climb printing fresh YTD highs while Cable slips to YTD lows after retail sales; broader FX is lower but magnitudes slimmer, high-betas lag
- Core debt continues to...
22 Apr 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were negative on spillover selling from Wall St with risk sentiment sapped amid higher yields.
- Ukrainian President Zelensky said Russia rejected a proposal for an Easter truce, according to Reuters.
- European equity futures are indicative of a lower open with Eurostoxx 50 -1.8% after the cash market closed higher by 0.8% yesterday.
- DXY hovers around the 100.50 mark, antipodeans lag, EUR and JPY lead in the G10...
21 Apr 2022, 11:45 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses and US futures are bolstered, ES +0.8%, with currency dynamics lifting EZ bourses and after-market earnings assisting, TSLA +7%
- DXY is pressured amid EUR advances following ECB’s de Guindos saying a July hike is possible, also sparked noted debt downside
- More broadly, FX sees some divergence ahead of multiple Central Bank speakers and after various inflation releases
- WTI and Brent are firmer, but off best levels, amid...
21 Apr 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks followed suit to the mixed performance on Wall St amid a lack of fresh macro drivers.
- Kyiv is ready to hold a special round of negotiations in Mariupol without conditions, according to Reuters.
- European equity futures are indicative of a slightly higher open with Eurostoxx 50 +0.3% after the cash market closed higher by 1.7% yesterday.
- DXY sits just below 100.50, USD/JPY is back on a 128 handle, NZD is softer...
20 Apr 2022, 11:30 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses and US futures were choppy at the commencement of the European session, but, have since derived impetus in relatively quiet newsflow amid multiple earnings and as yields continue to ease; ES Unch.
- NFLX lower by 26% in the pre-market as subscriber numbers fall; TSLA due after the close
- DXY continues to slip amid receding yields and a recovery in the JPY as the BoJ ramps up intervention to anchor 10yr yields
- Core debt is...
20 Apr 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks eventually traded mostly positive after the firm handover from the US which saw a solid performance for the NDX.
- The PBoC defied expectations for a cut to its benchmark lending rates.
- Netflix shares fell 26% after-hours as subscribers declined for the first time in over a decade.
- European equity futures are indicative of a higher open with Eurostoxx 50 +0.2% after the cash market closed lower by 0.5%...
19 Apr 2022, 11:45 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses and futures are negative across the board, ES -0.3%, as initial contained trade gave way under further yield advances, NQ -0.4% lags as such
- DXY remains above 100.00 but has swung between gains & losses as peers, ex-JPY, saw a shortlived pickup across the board
- USD/JPY has continued to climb taking out multiple barriers and disregarding commentary from officials, peaking just shy of 128.50
- Fixed income is significantly...
19 Apr 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks saw a mixed performance as more markets reopened and trade picked up from the holiday lull.
- European equity futures are indicative of a weaker open with Eurostoxx 50 -0.7% on return from the holiday weekend.
- Ukraine's armed forces command said Russia's main military focus is on taking full control of the Donetsk and Luhansk regions.
- Fed's Bullard refused to rule out a 75bps hike, says Fed needs to raise rates to around 3.5%...
14 Apr 2022, 11:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are modestly firmer, but off best levels, with US futures contained ahead of risk events
- US futures remain in narrow parameters before Retail Sales and GS/MS earnings; TWTR flies on Musk’s offer to buy at USD 54.20/shr
- DXY pressured and slipping further from 100.00, NZD bounces, EUR gains pre-ECB and SEK bolstered on CPIF/Riksbank calls
- Core debt continues to slip after brief safe-haven flows from Medvedev commentary...