06 May 2022, 11:55 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are subdued across the board, Euro Stoxx 50 -1.1%, reacting to the late-doors pressure in Wall St.
- Currently, US futures are modestly softer but relatively tentative overall going into the NFP release and subsequent Fed speak.
- EUR bid post hawkish commentary from ECB's Villeroy amid multiple other Central Bank speakers
- As such, EGBs have dropped dragging USTs down with them sending respective 10yr yields to 1.08% and 3.07%...
06 May 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- US stocks took a beating and gave back post-FOMC gains in which the DJIA slumped by more than 1000 points
- APAC stocks were mostly lower amid spillover selling from the sharp declines on Wall Street
- DXY held firm amid recent gains in yields and after the stock rout in the US spurred a flight to safety
- EU's Borrell said EU members are almost there on an agreement on a new package of sanctions against...
05 May 2022, 11:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are firmer across the board, Euro Stoxx 50 +1.3%, benefitting from the perceived less-hawkish Fed and associated Wall St./APAC performance.
- Stateside, futures are softer across the board though the likes of the ES remain in relative proximity to overnight best levels, ES -0.5%.
- DXY finds its feet post-FOMC, to the detriment of G10 peers incl. GBP lagging pre-BoE.
- Core debt has been choppy though Bunds and Gilts have resumed...
05 May 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- Fed hiked rates by 50bps as expected and will begin trimming its balance sheet on June 1st.
- Powell said 50bps increases should be on the table at the next couple of meetings and that a 75bps increase is not something they are actively considering.
- APAC stocks traded positively following the strong handover from Wall St.; SPX +2.97%.
- European equity futures are indicative of a stronger open with Eurostoxx 50 +2.4% after the cash market...
04 May 2022, 11:45 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses, Euro Stoxx 50 -0.3%, are modestly softer after another subdued but limited APAC handover amid ongoing regional closures.
- US futures remain in tight pre-FOMC ranges, with participants also awaiting ISM Services and ADP.
- WTI and Brent are bid amid the EU's 6th round of Russian sanctions, a complete ban on Russian oil.
- However, sources indicate that Hungary and Slovakia will receive an extended phase-out...
04 May 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were cautious amid holiday closures and as markets braced for the incoming FOMC announcement.
- European equity futures are indicative of a marginally positive open with Eurostoxx 50 +0.1% after the cash market closed higher by 0.8% yesterday.
- DXY is contained around the 103.50 mark with FX markets largely uneventful overnight.
- US Secretary of State Blinken is to outline his China policy on Thursday at...
03 May 2022, 11:45 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are firmer across the board, Euro Stoxx 50 +0.6%, following late-door Wall St. upside; though, the FTSE 100 -0.5% lags as it catches up from Monday's holiday.
- Stateside, futures are modestly firmer/flat on the session but have been rangebound throughout the European morning
- DXY struggles to gain firm direction as global yields err higher with EUR & GBP bolstered on their yield movements
- AUD outperforms following an...
03 May 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were unable to benefit from the late rally on Wall St. and traded mixed amid key market closures.
- RBA hiked rates by 25bps to 0.35% (exp. 15bps hike). RBA said it will require a further lift in interest rates during the period ahead.
- European equity futures are indicative of a firmer open with Eurostoxx 50 +1.2% after the cash market closed lower by 1.8% yesterday.
- DXY is relatively flat vs. peers, AUD the clear...
02 May 2022, 11:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are lower across the board, Euro Stoxx 50 -1.60%, following a subdued APAC handover amid holiday-thinned conditions, soft data and COVID concerns.
- German Final Manufacturing PMI; "The survey's output index is now in contraction territory for the first time since the initial COVID shutdowns in the first half of 2020, with a similar situation for new orders".
- USD remains bid but has slipped from best levels and is yet to test last week's best for the...
02 May 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks declined amid mass holiday closures, weak Chinese PMIs and upcoming key risk events.
- Germany could end its dependence on Russian oil by the end of summer, according to reports.
- European equity futures are indicative of a weaker open with Eurostoxx 50 -1.3% after the cash market closed higher by 0.7% on Friday.
- DXY heads into the EU open on a firmer footing with NZD and JPY leading losses vs. the...
29 Apr 2022, 14:23 by Newsquawk Desk
- SUN: Chinese Labour Day Holiday (May 1-4).
- MON: German Industrial Orders (Mar) and Retail Sales (Mar); EZ, and US Final Manufacturing PMIs (Apr); US ISM Manufacturing PMI (Apr); UK Bank Holiday; Japanese Holiday.
- TUE: RBA Announcement; South Korean CPI; German Unemployment (Apr); EZ Producer Prices (Mar); US Durable Goods (Mar); UK Final Manufacturing PMI (Apr); New Zealand Jobs Report; Eurogroup Meeting; Japanese Holiday.
- WED: FOMC...
29 Apr 2022, 11:47 by Newsquawk Desk
- European equities remain on the front foot on the last trading day of the month
- State-side futures were dented overnight amid after-hours losses in Amazon and Apple
- Dollar bulls book profits into month end and DXY pulls back further from near 104.000 peak
- CBR opted for a bigger-than-forecast 300bp rate cut, and Kremlin said it is mulling Gold peg
- Looking ahead, highlights include US March PCE, US Chicago PMI,...
29 Apr 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks gained after the firm lead from the US but with advances in the region capped by disappointing earnings from Amazon and Apple.
- European equity futures are indicative of a higher open with Eurostoxx 50 +1.5% after the cash market closed higher by 1.1% yesterday.
- DXY has pulled back from recent advances but retains 103 status, activity currencies outperform G10 peers.
- Crude futures held on to yesterday's gains after Germany...
28 Apr 2022, 11:40 by Newsquawk Desk
- Equities in Europe continue to gain heading into month-end, with overall sentiment across stocks bolstered
- US equity futures are firmer across the board, with the NQ clearly outpacing its peers; Meta +17% pre-market
- BoJ maintained policy settings and forward guidance, will conduct fixed-rate JGB buying operations on every working day
- EU energy groups are reportedly preparing to meet Russian President Putin's terms for gas, according to...
28 Apr 2022, 06:48 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were higher across the board amid a slew of earnings updates and a dovish BoJ; US futs were supported by Meta (+18.3% after-hours).
- BoJ maintained policy settings and forward guidance, will conduct fixed-rate JGB buying operations on every working day.
- Russia is planning referendums on the official accession of the Donbas region in mid-May.
- European equity futures are indicative of a higher open with Eurostoxx 50 +0.6% after...
27 Apr 2022, 11:33 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses recovered from the losses seen at the cash open, with the region currently posting board-based gains
- US equity futures see slightly more pronounced gains vs Europe following yesterday’s hefty losses
- Greenback continues to grind higher in its guise of global reserve and prime safe haven with DXY inching closer to 103.000
- Russia's Gazprom has halted gas supplies to Bulgaria and Poland due to lack of payment in...
27 Apr 2022, 06:51 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were mostly negative after the heavy losses in the US; SPX -2.81%, NDX -3.87%
- US Secretary of State Blinken said the US has not yet seen a sign that Russian President Putin is serious regarding meaningful negotiations on Ukraine.
- European equity futures are indicative of a softer open with Eurostoxx 50 future -0.4% after the cash market closed lower by 1.0% yesterday.
- DXY has held on to recent spoils above 102, AUD outperforms in...
26 Apr 2022, 11:34 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses feel some reprieve following the bout of selling seen in recent sessions
- US equity futures trade relatively flat with a mild downside bias after trimming earlier losses
- Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov said Russia will continue peace talks with Ukraine; Germany will make an announcement on sending tanks to Ukraine
- Dollar mixed as broad risk appetite returns after Monday’s flight to safety; Euro and Pound flounder as DXY eyes...
26 Apr 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were mostly higher with bourses in the region encouraged after the rebound on Wall Street; S&P 500 +0.6%, NDX +1.3%.
- Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov said Russia will continue peace talks with Ukraine.
- Twitter (TWTR) is to be bought by Elon Musk for USD 44bln or 54.20/shr in cash and will become a privately held company upon completion of the transaction.
- European equity futures are indicative of a firmer open with...
25 Apr 2022, 11:55 by Newsquawk Desk
- European cash markets kicked off the week lower across the board with a relatively broad-based performance seen across the majors
- Twitter is reportedly re-examining Elon Musk’s bid in which a potential deal could be made as early as this week, WSJ sources
- Stateside futures are lower in tandem with the broader market sentiment, whilst the NQ is slightly more cushioned by the earlier decline in yields.
- DXY set a new 2022 peak at 101.750 amid...
25 Apr 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks traded negatively after last Friday's stock rout on Wall Street; S&P 500 posted its worst day since March 7th.
- Ukraine offered Russia a special round of talks to be held in Mariupol.
- European equity futures are indicative of a lower open with Eurostoxx 50 -1.7% after the cash market closed lower by 2.2% on Friday.
- DXY strengthened amid the overnight risk-aversion, antipodeans lag, EUR gains fleeting vs. USD...
22 Apr 2022, 13:30 by Newsquawk Desk
- MON: German Ifo (Apr), US National Activity Index (Mar).
- TUE: NBH Policy Announcement; Japanese Unemployment (Mar), UK PSNB (Mar), US New Home Sales (Mar).
- WED: Chinese Industrial Profits (Mar), Australian CPI (Q1), German GfK (May), New Zealand Trade Balance (Mar).
- THU: BoJ & Riksbank Policy Announcements, CBRT Inflation Report; Japanese Retail Sales (Mar), EZ Consumer Confidence Final (Apr), German Prelim. CPI (Apr), US GDP...
22 Apr 2022, 11:40 by Newsquawk Desk
- Equities are pressured across the board with Europe reacting to hawkish Central Bank commentary and the subsequent subdued APAC/Wall St. handover
- US futures are modestly softer after pivoting contained APAC parameters, today is the last day before Fed blackout
- DXY continues to climb printing fresh YTD highs while Cable slips to YTD lows after retail sales; broader FX is lower but magnitudes slimmer, high-betas lag
- Core debt continues to...
22 Apr 2022, 06:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were negative on spillover selling from Wall St with risk sentiment sapped amid higher yields.
- Ukrainian President Zelensky said Russia rejected a proposal for an Easter truce, according to Reuters.
- European equity futures are indicative of a lower open with Eurostoxx 50 -1.8% after the cash market closed higher by 0.8% yesterday.
- DXY hovers around the 100.50 mark, antipodeans lag, EUR and JPY lead in the G10...
21 Apr 2022, 11:45 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses and US futures are bolstered, ES +0.8%, with currency dynamics lifting EZ bourses and after-market earnings assisting, TSLA +7%
- DXY is pressured amid EUR advances following ECB’s de Guindos saying a July hike is possible, also sparked noted debt downside
- More broadly, FX sees some divergence ahead of multiple Central Bank speakers and after various inflation releases
- WTI and Brent are firmer, but off best levels, amid...