17 Mar 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- Fed raised rates by 25bps as expected and expects a further six hikes in 2022 and four in 2023.
- Fed Chair Powell said the Fed expects to reduce the size of its balance sheet at a coming meeting.
- US stocks closed higher after shaking off the initial kneejerk hawkish reaction to the FOMC. APAC stocks also gained.
- European equity futures are indicative of a slightly higher open with the Euro Stoxx 50 future up 0.2% after the cash market...
16 Mar 2022, 10:55 by Newsquawk Desk
- Constructive commentary from Ukraine's Zelensky and Russia's Lavrov, though more time is still needed
- European bourses are firmer across the board, Euro Stoxx 50 +3.3%, after a firmer handover and on geopols
- US futures are firmer across the board, NQ +1.9% outperforming amid overnight tech action, influencing European sectors
- DXY reels amid support for EUR on yield action ahead of noted EUR/USD option interest at the NY...
16 Mar 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks gained after a strong handover from Wall St; S&P 500 +2.2%, Nasdaq 100 +3.2%.
- European equity futures are indicative of a higher open with the Euro Stoxx 50 future up 1.6% after the cash market closed lower by 0.1% yesterday.
- Ukrainian President Zelensky stated that the positions of Ukraine and Russia at negotiations sound more realistic.
- Fitch warns that Russia would be in default if it pays USD coupons in...
15 Mar 2022, 10:55 by Newsquawk Desk
- Ukrainian President Zelensky said negotiations with Russia will continue on Tuesday; Kremlin says it is positive talks are continuing.
- European bourses are pressured, Euro Stoxx 50 -1.8%, but off lows after a bout of early pressure amid Russia-Ukraine developments.
- Stateside, US futures are moving in tandem directionally but magnitudes more contained, ES -0.2%, as focus turns to FOMC
- Core debt's initial recovery fizzles out as Bunds hit...
15 Mar 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks mostly declined following the soft handover from the US which saw the NDX close in a technical bear market.
- European equity futures are indicative of a weaker open with the Euro Stoxx 50 future down 0.8% after the cash market closed higher by 1.5% yesterday.
- White House warned there will be significant consequences for China if it provides assistance to Russia that violates sanctions.
- US President Biden could attend an...
14 Mar 2022, 10:45 by Newsquawk Desk
- Russian and Ukrainian officials on Sunday gave their most upbeat assessments so far on the progress of talks and suggested there could be positive results within days
- European bourses are firmer, Euro Stoxx 50 +2.1%, following a mixed APAC handover amid conflicting headlines; US futures are firmer across the board but with magnitudes more contained
- DXY and FX-havens continue to pull back with EUR finding support amid noted expiries but is yet to test...
14 Mar 2022, 09:00 by Newsquawk Desk
- MON: Eurogroup Meeting, Swedish CPIF (Feb), US Survey of Consumer Expectations (Feb).
- TUE: EU Economic/Financial Affairs Council, OPEC OMR, Norges Bank Regional Network, Chinese Industrial Production/Retail Sales (Feb), UK Unemployment (Jan) & Claimant Count (Feb), German ZEW (Mar), EZ Industrial Production (Jan), Canadian Housing Starts (Feb), US PPI (Feb), New Zealand Current Account (Q4), Japanese Trade Balance (Feb).
- WED: FOMC & BCB Policy...
14 Mar 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks were mixed as participants digested varied geopolitical headlines. China was pressured by the lockdown in Shenzhen.
- Russian and Ukrainian officials on Sunday gave their most upbeat assessments so far on the progress of talks.
- Russia launched an airstrike on a military base near the Polish border on Sunday.
- European equity futures are indicative of a firmer open with the Euro Stoxx 50 future up 1.1% after the cash market...
11 Mar 2022, 12:05 by Newsquawk Desk
- Russian President Putin says there are certain positive shifts in talks with Ukraine - sparking significant risk-on.
- European bourses are firmer, Euro Stoxx 50 +3.0%, as are US futures though magnitudes are more contained amid a thin US docket.
- DXY is firmer, but off-highs, in tandem with the broader move that sees US/German 10yr yields at 2.0% and 0.30% again.
- WTI and Brent futures are firmer on the day with initial upside bolstered by a...
11 Mar 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks traded negatively following the soft lead from the US and with Chinese tech names spooked by US delisting fears.
- Russia agreed to allow a Ukrainian repair team to access power lines in the area around the Chernobyl nuclear power station.
- US President Biden is to call for an end to Russia's preferred trade status.
- European equity futures are indicative of a firmer open with the Euro Stoxx 50 future up 0.3% after the cash market...
10 Mar 2022, 11:55 by Newsquawk Desk
- Ukrainian Foreign Minister Kuleba says no progress on a ceasefire; Russia stuck to its script; holding the meeting with his Russian counterpart was not easy; ready to meet again in this format
- Russian Foreign Minister says a possible meeting between the Ukrainian and Russian presidents was discussed, but need more preparations
- Equities continue to move lower as yesterday's exuberance wanes and further pressure emerges from the readout of the Ukrainian-Russian...
10 Mar 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks traded with firm gains following a strong session for Wall St.; S&P 500 +2.6%, Nasdaq +3.6%.
- European equity futures are indicative of a marginally softer open with the Euro Stoxx 50 future down 0.1% after the cash market closed higher by 7.4% yesterday.
- Ukrainian President Zelensky said he is prepared for certain compromises but the other side also needs to compromise.
- US House voted to approve the USD 1.5tln...
09 Mar 2022, 11:45 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are firmer across the board as risk-sentiment recovers, Euro Stoxx 50 +5.0%; albeit, Energy/Basic Resources names are lagging amid an unwinding in geopolitical-premia, evidenced notably in crude.
- US futures are firmer across the board, though the magnitude of action is less pronounced when compared to European peers, ES +1.7%.
- Russia says "some progress" has been made in discussions with Ukraine; subsequently, Ukraine's Foreign Minister Kuleba says...
09 Mar 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- US stocks finished mostly lower whilst the APAC region posted a mixed performance overnight.
- European equity futures are indicative of a higher open with the Euro Stoxx 50 future up 1.7% after the cash market closed down 0.2% yesterday.
- Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov will travel to Turkey today to meet with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Kuleba.
- DXY sits just below 99.00, EUR/USD reclaimed 1.0900, AUD leads in the G10 FX...
08 Mar 2022, 11:55 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are mixed, Euro Stoxx 50 +0.9%, after an initial boost to sentiment on source reports around large-scale EU bond issuance; albeit, this upside has waned.
- Similar action has been exhibited in US futures, ES +0.4%, though performance there is positive across the board once more after a brief foray back into negative territory.
- EU is reportedly considering a massive joint bond sale to finance defence and energy, according to Bloomberg citing sources;...
08 Mar 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- S&P 500 and Dow Jones suffered their worst performance YTD and the Nasdaq Comp. finished in a bear market.
- APAC stocks were seen lower overnight and US equity futures extended on losses; ES -0.7%.
- The Euro Stoxx 50 future is down 2.4% after the cash market closed down 1.2% and in bear market territory yesterday.
- Ukraine said talks with Russia led to small positive developments, but there were no significant results on a truce or...
07 Mar 2022, 11:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are hampered across the board, Euro Stoxx 50 -2.3%, as geopolitics continue to dominate; US futures are also pressured, ES -1.7%, but faring marginally better
- WTI and Brent surge amid multiple bullish-factors re. US possibly banning Russian oil, Iran-nuclear delays and China growth ambitions; thus, benchmarks reached highs of USD 130.50/bbl and USD 139.13/bbl respectively.
- Russian & Ukraine Foreign Ministers are to meet in Antalya, Turkey,...
07 Mar 2022, 09:00 by Newsquawk Desk
- MON: Chinese Trade Balance (Feb), German Consumer Goods/Industrial Orders (Jan), EZ Sentix (Mar), US Employment Trends (Feb), Australian Consumer Sentiment (Mar).
- TUE: EIA STEO; Australian NAB Business Conditions/Confidence (Feb), German Industrial Output/Production (Jan), EZ Employment Final (Q4), US NFIB (Feb), Canadian Trade Balance (Jan), US International Trade (Jan), Wholesale Inventory/Sales (Jan).
- WED: South Korean Presidential Elections; Chinese...
07 Mar 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- Ukraine's ruling party head said the third round of talks with Russia will take place on Monday.
- US Secretary of State Blinken said the US and allies are in active discussions regarding a Russian oil import ban; Brent rose above USD 139/bbl at one stage.
- Russian demands for sanction exemptions have delayed Iranian nuclear talks.
- Asian stocks are lower, US futures are negative with the e-mini S&P below 4300, European...
04 Mar 2022, 11:55 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are hampered, Euro Stoxx 50 -3.7%, after sentiment was hit on the escalating Zaporizhzhia nuclear situation, with Russia now having control of the area
- Stateside, US futures, ES -0.8%, are pressured but remain modestly above overnight lows as participants look to today's Labour Market Report
- Ukraine Presidential advisor says they will not say the date/time of the next round of discussions with Russia in advance
- DXY continues...
04 Mar 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- Ukraine and Russia reached an understanding on a joint provision of humanitarian corridors for evacuating civilians.
- Ukraine's Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant was attacked by Russia; safety of the plant has since been secured.
- APAC stocks were seen lower amid fears surrounding the Russian attack on the Ukrainian power plant.
- European equity futures are indicative of a negative open with the Euro Stoxx 50 future down 2.1% after...
03 Mar 2022, 11:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- Next round of Russia-Ukraine discussions could start at 12:00GMT today; though, Russia notes that they are awaiting the arrival of the Ukrainian delegation
- European bourses are lower and in-line with the generally cautious mood ahead of negotiations; US futures lower, ES -0.1%, but more contained pre-data & Fed speak
- DXY remains firm and either side of 97.50, with peers generally lower and havens not benefitting from the cautious tone in-fitting with the core...
03 Mar 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks traded mostly positive following gains in the US where stocks and yields climbed.
- European equity futures are indicative of a flat open after the Eurostoxx 50 cash market closed higher by 1.5% yesterday.
- DXY remains on a firm footing, EUR/USD hovers around 1.11 and Cable is circa 1.34.
- Interfax reported that Russia and Ukraine are to hold talks today.
- Fitch and Moody's cut Russia's sovereign...
02 Mar 2022, 12:00 by Newsquawk Desk
- Ukraine and Russia will hold a second round of discussion later today, via Tass citing an aide to the Ukraine presidential office - awaiting Ukranian confirmation.
- Earlier, Russia's Kremlin says the Russian delegation will be waiting later today and are ready to continue talks; not clear if Ukrainian officials will attend the talks.
- Losses in Europe trimmed and bourses are now predominantly positive following Kremlin commentary around today's potential negotiations,...
02 Mar 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- US stocks finished lower (S&P 500 -1.6%) with Asian equities also seen softer overnight.
- European equity futures are indicative of a soft open with the Euro Stoxx 50 future -0.1% after the cash market closed lower by 4.0% yesterday.
- In FX, the DXY extended on gains above 97.00, EUR/USD has reclaimed 1.1100 and cable sits on a 1.33 handle.
- US President Biden said getting prices under control is his highest...