22 Feb 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- Russian President Putin said Russia will recognize the independence of Donbas LPR and DPR separatists
- The US will announce fresh sanctions against Russia on Tuesday in which it will coordinate with allies on the announcement
- APAC stocks traded negatively amid Russia-Ukraine developments. US equity futures also retreated overnight
- European equity futures are indicative of a weaker open with the Euro Stoxx 50 future -1.4% after cash markets...
21 Feb 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- Reports over the weekend noted heavy fighting between Ukraine’s armed forces and Russian-backed separatists along the contact line
- US President Biden and Russian President Putin have separately agreed in principle to meet
- APAC stocks traded mostly negative before trimming losses on the Biden-Putin update
- European equity futures are indicative of a firmer open with the Euro Stoxx 50 future +0.4% after cash markets closed lower by 1.0% on...
18 Feb 2022, 11:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are contained around the unchanged mark, Euro Stoxx 50 +0.2%, as an initially positive open on geopolitical developments waned as we await further drivers.
- US futures are deriving greater upside from the reported meeting of US-Russian officials today and next week; however, focus turns to Fed's Williams & Brainard
- Additionally, Russia's Defence Minister is to speak over the phone with his US counterpart on Friday, at the request of the...
18 Feb 2022, 06:55 by Newsquawk Desk
- Sentiment picked up following reports of a meeting between the US Secretary of State and Russian Foreign Minister late next week
- US President Biden is to hold a meeting on Friday with the heads of NATO, EU, France, Germany, UK, Italy, Poland, and Romania
- APAC stocks maintained a mild downside bias, US and European equity futures traded with gains
- DXY saw a modest downtick on the Blinken/Lavrov meeting headlines. Antipodeans lead in the G10...
17 Feb 2022, 11:40 by Newsquawk Desk
- Risk sentiment remains at the whim of geopolitics, US futures lower across the board (ES -0.5%) while European bourses are somewhat cushioned on corporate updates (Euro Stoxx 50 Unch.)
- Crude benchmarks are pressured as we await clarity on reported shelling in Donbas; currently, WTI and Brent remain around USD 1.00/bbl from the overnight trough.
- The current peaks of USD 93.31/bbl and USD 94.48/bbl in WTI and Brent were set overnight on the initial report via Sputnik...
17 Feb 2022, 06:55 by Newsquawk Desk
- Markets saw risk-off trade following reports of mounting tensions in Ukraine via Russian press – awaiting confirmation from Ukraine/NATO
- Russian-backed separatists claimed that Ukraine opened fire in the Donbas region; a US official said there are more Russian troops at the border and not fewer
- FOMC minutes saw little new information; markets reacted to the lack of hawkish surprises
- Crude futures collapsed post-settlement on positive...
16 Feb 2022, 11:30 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses (Eurostoxx 50 unch.) trimmed early gains as NATO Sec. Gen. Stoltenberg pushed back on claims of Russian troop withdrawals, adding he is yet to see signs of a de-escalation.
- US futures (ES -0.1%) sit in minor negative territory amid the pullback in risk sentiment; traders await US retail sales and FOMC minutes.
- DXY down to new sub-96.00 WTD low; safe-havens lag while AUD and EUR lead though EUR/USD op ex looms.
- US Treasuries...
16 Feb 2022, 06:55 by Newsquawk Desk
- US stocks finished with firm gains across the board; Russell 2000 and Nasdaq led the gains
- APAC stocks traded higher following the optimism seen in European and US peers
- Chinese PPI and CPI Y/Y printed below expectations and both cooled from the prior
- US President Biden said an invasion of Ukraine is still a possibility; the US has not yet verified the Russian troop withdrawal
- ECB's Villeroy said APP could end in Q3;...
15 Feb 2022, 11:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are firmer in a pick-up from a relatively contained open amid developments on the geopolitical front.
- Updates that some Russian troops are returning to base lifted US futures above Monday's best levels; ES +1.4%.
- On the Russian withdrawal, we are awaiting confirmation from a non-Russian source/outlet; meeting between Putin & Scholz is underway.
- USD and safe-haven FX pullback on the improvement in risk sentiment,...
15 Feb 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- APAC stocks traded mostly lower following a similar handover from Wall Street (S&P 500 -0.4%); mainland China outperformed
- European and US equity futures traded with a non-committal tone overnight but tilted lower as European players entered the fray
- Kremlin spokesperson struck a conciliatory tone, but satellite images show increased Russian military action
- Iron ore futures slumped over 10% amid the continued crackdown on prices by...
14 Feb 2022, 11:40 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are pressured across the board as geopolitics exacerbates a subdued APAC handover and soft end to the US week.
- Stateside, US futures are suppressed but faring better than EU comparables as participants await fresh Fed developments amid broader geopolitical focus.
- Dollar in demand alongside fellow safe haven currencies as investors fret about a Russian attack on Ukraine; JPY outperforms and eyes 115.00
- Core debt benefits from...
14 Feb 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- Asian stocks traded mostly lower with the region cautious following the sell-off on Wall Street (S&P 500 -2%)
- US equity futures were mixed overnight, whilst European equity futures are indicative of a softer open
- DXY edged higher and topped 96.00. Antipodeans lag in the G10 FX space
- Biden and Putin spoke on Saturday. Separate reports suggest US officials believe Russian action could start as soon as...
11 Feb 2022, 11:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are pressured, Stoxx 600 -0.8%, after a negative US close on hot-CPI was exacerbated by further hawkish Fed speak/speculation.
- US futures are in-fitting with their European peers with the NQ -0.8%, modestly underperforming.
- Buck boosted by hawkish rate rise and balance sheet reduction preferences from Fed’s Bullard; peers pressured across the board.
- Bonds lick some wounds post-hot US inflation metrics, but curves stay flat...
11 Feb 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- US stocks tumbled after a hot CPI report pushed the 10yr yield above 2%; S&P 500 -1.81%, Nasdaq 100 -2.33%
- Fed's Bullard (2022 voter) favours 100bps of interest-rate increases by July 1st and a half-point rate hike in March
- Asian stocks declined following the weak US handover and remarks from Bullard. US equity futures extended losses overnight
- European futures are indicative of a negative open with the Eurostoxx 50 future down by...
10 Feb 2022, 11:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are mixed/positive having pulled back modestly from a firmer cash open, individual movers heavily dictated by pre-market earnings.
- US futures are contained but with a modest negative bias apparent as we await US CPI and subsequent Fed speak.
- DXY somewhat deflated into US CPI even though expectations are lofty; JPY & SEK hampered on Central Bank activity.
- Core bonds back-off after a fade below midweek highs while JGBs...
10 Feb 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- US stocks closed higher with the Nasdaq leading the advances amid a tech/growth bias; S&P 500 +1.43%, Nasdaq 100 +2.10%
- Asian stocks traded mixed as participants digested another deluge of earnings and US-China frictions
- European futures are indicative of a slightly higher open with the Eurostoxx 50 future up by 0.2% after the cash market closed higher by 1.8% yesterday
- DXY traded flat above 95.50 and lacked firm direction ahead of...
09 Feb 2022, 11:45 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are firmer in a continuation of positive APAC/US trade, catalysts light thus far going into Thursday's US CPI
- US futures post broad-based gains in a continuation of yesterday's action awaiting Central Bank speak
- Greenback ground down, but off recent lows ahead of Fed speakers on the eve of US CPI; peers supported and high beta outpacing
- Bonds regroup after Tuesday's meltdown, with Bunds outpacing UK peers after remarks from...
09 Feb 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- US stocks were higher and finished near the best levels of the day; S&P 500 +0.8% at 4,520
- Asian stocks traded higher with earnings releases in focus and following the positive handover from Wall St
- European futures are indicative of a firmer open with the Eurostoxx 50 future up by 0.9% after the cash market closed higher by 0.2% yesterday
- DXY hovers around 95.50, EUR/USD maintains 1.14 status and antipodeans lead in the G10...
08 Feb 2022, 11:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are mixed and in proximity to the unchanged mark following an indecisive open; sectors similarly mixed.
- US futures are also mixed/unchanged, action directionally following European peers but has been more contained thus far.
- China State funds have reportedly purchased stocks to slow the market decline, according to Bloomberg.
- DXY firmer around 95.50 pivot point as UST curve flips and flattens; peers mixed but magnitudes...
08 Feb 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- US stocks finished mixed (S&P 500 -0.4%) following a choppy, catalyst-lite session with indices stumbling into the close
- Asian stocks were mixed after the choppy mood in the US with newsflow dominated by geopolitical headlines
- European futures are indicative of a softer open with the Eurostoxx 50 future down by 0.3% after the cash market closed higher by 0.3% yesterday
- DXY marginally gained above 95.50 but with price action contained....
07 Feb 2022, 11:45 by Newsquawk Desk
- Core European bourses are choppy and mixed overall, Euro Stoxx 50 -0.1%, though the periphery is pressured on domestic debt downside; FTSE MIB -1.6%
- Stateside, US futures are pressured but have also been choppy/rangebound for the most part, RTY lags
- Dollar retains the bulk of its stellar BLS labour report gains, but eases from best levels; with peers mixed across the board
- BTPs drop as core-periphery spreads widen with Lagarde in focus,...
07 Feb 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- US stocks finished mostly positive on Friday in what was a choppy session as investors digested a blow-out NFP report
- Asian stocks were mixed with mainland Chinese participants returning from the Lunar New Year holiday
- European futures are indicative of a higher open with the Eurostoxx 50 future up by 0.5% after the cash market closed lower by 1.3% on Friday
- DXY climbed back above 95.50 post-NFP beat with participants eyeing this week's US...
04 Feb 2022, 11:50 by Newsquawk Desk
- European equities have drifted from the positive cash open despite a lack of news flow; US equity futures have largely given up earlier gains, NQ remains the outperformer post-Amazon
- DXY is contained but with a negative bias as EUR extends further, GBP pullsback and antipodeans lag
- Core EGB benchmarks came under further pressure in early-European hours on further hawkish repricing; USTs remain relatively contained
- WTI and Brent continue to...
04 Feb 2022, 06:54 by Newsquawk Desk
- Asian stocks eventually traded mostly positive following the tech-related turbulence in US
- After-market earnings saw Amazon (AMZN) rising 14% and Snap (SNAP) soaring almost 60%
- US equity futures rose overnight with the NQ (+2%) leading the gains; Amazon holds an ~8% weighting in the NDX
- In FX, DXY extended further below 96.00, EUR/USD climbed above 1.1450 and Cable briefly reclaimed a 1.3600 handle
- In fixed income,...
03 Feb 2022, 11:40 by Newsquawk Desk
- European bourses are pressured, Stoxx 600 -0.7% given the US after-market read across, followed by numerous earnings releases in the pre-market dictating individual movers/sectors.
- US futures are subdued and the NQ underperforms on Meta (-20%) earnings while the ES/RTY fare marginally better going into risk events.
- DXY has seen a bounce as peers pull-back going into BoE/ECB with G10 peers pressured across the board.
- Core debt is contained/choppy while EGB periphery benchmarks lag marginally amid...