21 Apr 2017, 06:58
- Asian equities traded mostly higher in the final trading session of the week amid the positive healthcare reform-inspired gains on Wall Street
- FX markets traded quiet amid a lack of tier 1 data releases, which saw the USD-Index hold below 100.00
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK retail sales, Canadian CPI, US mfg PMI, Existing Home Sales, BoE’s Saunders and ECB’s...
20 Apr 2017, 06:55
- Asian equity markets traded mostly higher, albeit modestly so with the Nikkei 225 supported by strong export-based trade data
- NZD gained some ground against its major counterparts overnight amid encouraging domestic CPI figures
- Looking ahead, highlights include US weekly jobs, Philly Fed, Fed’s Powell, Rosengren and BoE’s Carney
19 Apr 2017, 06:55
- Asian equities traded lower amid the downbeat tone from Wall Street whereby lacklustre earnings dragged prices lower
- GBP took focus after the EU close yesterday with GBP/USD steamrolling tspanough stops to briefly break above 1.2900
- Looking ahead, highlights include Eurozone CPI, DoEs, Fed’s George, Rosengren and ECB’s Coeure
18 Apr 2017, 06:54
- Asian equity markets traded mostly lower despite the positive Wall Street lead with the ASX notably hampered by losses in gold and iron ore
- FX markets were relatively uneventful overnight with USD/JPY largely guided by fluctuating risk sentiment
- Looking ahead, highlights include US Building Permits and Housing Starts, Fed’s George and Rosengren
13 Apr 2017, 13:47
- Equity markets across Asia continued with the week’s theme, as geopolitical fears and commentary continued to lead to a risk off tone
- Comments from President Trump that the USD is getting too strong and he prefers low interest rate policy set the tone for Asian trade
- Looking ahead, highlights include US PPI, weekly jobs data, Uni. Of Michigan
12 Apr 2017, 06:54
- Asian equities slip amid the rising geopolitical concerns, while Chinese CPI misses analyst estimates.
- JPY the notable beneficiary from the risk off tone with USD/JPY at its lowest level since Nov’16.
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK Jobs Data, BoC Rate Decision, and DoE Crude Report.
11 Apr 2017, 06:54
- Mounting geopolitical concerns continue to guide investor sentiment with Asian equities trading mostly lower
- This sentiment was also seen in FX markets with JPY one of the main beneficiaries, dragging USD/JPY below 111.00
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK inflation, German ZEW and Fed’s Kashkari
10 Apr 2017, 06:55
- Asian equities traded mixed following on from the subdued Wall Street lead while geopolitical tensions continue to mount over the weekend
- USD held onto Friday’s gains where the USD-index reclaimed 101.00, meanwhile, JPY softened with USD/JPY extending further above 111.00
- Looking ahead, highlights include ECB’s Constancio and Fed’s Yellen
07 Apr 2017, 06:55
- Risk-off sentiment has been spurred by heightened geopolitical tensions as the US launched cruise missiles against Syrian targets
- A Syria military source stated that the strike led to losses, while Russia is to seek a UN Security Council meeting on the strike
- Looking ahead, highlights include US and Canadian Jobs reports, UK Industrial and Manufacturing Production, BoE's Carney, Fed's Dudley, ECB's Coeure and...
06 Apr 2017, 06:56
- FOMC minutes saw focus around a potential change to the Fed’s reinvestment policy and a split on whether hikes should be faster or more gradual
- Asia equities traded lower, following on from the US lead with the USD losing ground against major counterparts
- Looking ahead, highlights include ECB Minutes, US Weekly Jobs data, ECB’s Draghi, Praet and Constancio
05 Apr 2017, 06:56
- Asia equity markets traded choppy following the mild gains on Wall St. which was led by the energy sector
- FX markets were uneventful amid a lack of tier 1 data during the Asia session, which kept the USD range-bound
- Looking ahead, highlights include Eurozone, UK and US Service PMI, ADP Employment Change and ISM Non-Manufacturing PMI, DoEs and FOMC Minutes
04 Apr 2017, 06:47
- Asian Equities traded with little in the way of firm direction amid holiday-thinned trade with the USD trading in a similar manner
- The RBA kept rates on hold at 1.50% as expected and struck a mildly cautious tone
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK Construction PMI, US Trade Balance, ECB’s Draghi, ECB’s Liikanen and Fed’s Tarullo
03 Apr 2017, 06:55
- Asian equities traded mostly higher as the region digested a slew of mixed data
- FX markets saw a quiet start to the week with the USD-index rangebound ahead of this week’s key risk events
- Looking ahead, highlights include Eurozone, UK and US Mfg. PMI data, US Construction Spending, ECB’s Coeure, Fed’s Dudley, Lacker and Harker
31 Mar 2017, 07:04
- Asian equity markets traded somewhat mixed with some slight indecision heading into month, quarter and fiscal year-end
- USD remained firm as the USD-index extended advances above 100.00 amid weakness in EUR/USD which languished below 1.0700
- Looking ahead, highlights include German unemployment rate, UK GDP, US PCE, University of Michigan sentiment, ECB's Couere and Fed's Bullard &...
30 Mar 2017, 06:54
- Asian equities traded mostly lower despite a largely positive lead from the US in which the energy sector outperformed
- The greenback held near yesterday’s highs as the USD-index reclaimed 100.00, while USD/JPY extended its footing above 111.00
- Looking ahead, highlights include German...
29 Mar 2017, 06:55
- Asian equities traded mostly higher amid a positive Wall Street lead, with stocks supported by upside in energy and financial names
- USD held on to the prior session’s gains with the USD-index closer to the 100 level and USD/JPY above 111.00
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK PM May invoking Article 50 and the DoE Crude oil inventory...
28 Mar 2017, 17:36
28 Mar 2017, 06:54
- Asian bourses saw a pick-up in sentiment overnight despite the subdued Wall Street lead with the ASX outperforming
- FX markets were relatively quiet with the USD-index flat amid a lack of tier-1 data or drivers to spur price action
- Looking ahead, highlights include potential comments from Fed’s Yellen, George, Kaplan & Powell and ECB’s Coeure
27 Mar 2017, 06:56
- Asian equities traded mostly lower with the Nikkei 225 hampered by a firmer JPY while Chinese bourses were dealt some reprieve from Industrial Profit data
- USD softened overnight as investors reacted to the US President’s lack of ability to pass the health care bill tspanough congress
- Looking ahead, highlights include potential comments from ECB’s Lautenschlaeger, Praet, Fed’s Evans and...
24 Mar 2017, 06:54
- Trump’s AHCA negotiations remained in focus overnight, with some concerns eased after Trump stated he will focus on tax reforms if the House of representatives fail to pass the bill
- USD saw upside in the wake of Trump’s tax reform comments, with comments from Kaplan also supportive
- Today’s highlights include Eurozone and US manufacturing and services PMIs, US Durable Goods Orders and comments from Fed's Evans,...
22 Mar 2017, 07:00
- Asian equities traded higher in line with their US counterparts, with newsflow overnight relatively light
- USD has held on to yesterday’s rebound, while NZD sspanugged off the latest RBNZ rate decision which shed little new information.
- Highlights include UK Retail Sales, US weekly jobless data and a host of speakers including BoE’s Broadbent, ECB’s Lautenschlager and Fed’s Yellen, Kashkari and...
21 Mar 2017, 06:53
- Asian equities trades relatively mixed following a rather subdued lead from Wall St. in which financials underperformed
- An encouraging performance from Macron in the first presidential election TV debate saw EUR/USD outperform
- Looking ahead, highlights include: UK CPI, Canadian Retail Sales, API report and...
20 Mar 2017, 06:54
- Quiet start to the week as Asian equities traded mixed amid a lack of key drivers while Japanese trade was closed for the Spring Equinox holiday.
- FX markets saw the USD-index continue to pull back with the greenback now hovering around the 100 level.
- Highlights include, Chicago Fed National Activity Index, Bundesbank Report and comments from Fed’s...
17 Mar 2017, 06:53
- Asian equity markets saw little in the way of firm direction as markets took a breather after recent key risk events
- GBP/USD remained above 1.2300 while EUR/USD extended on recent highs amid rate-hike rhetoric from ECB’s Nowotny
- Looking ahead, highlights include University of Michigan Sentiment
16 Mar 2017, 06:58
- As expected, the FOMC lifted rates by 25bps. However, the Fed dot plot projections showed forecasts for 2017 and 2018 were unchanged from December.
- After having counted 93.5% of votes in the Netherlands election, PM Rutte's VVD party is to win 33 seats, PVV at 20 seats, while CDA and D66 parties are to win 19 seats each
- Looking ahead,...