08 Feb 2018, 06:57
- Asian equity markets traded mixed with the region somewhat cautious following the subdued lead from Wall St.
- In FX, USD held on to the majority of the prior day’s yield-driven gains. RBNZ stood pat on rates and stated that policy will remain accommodative for a considerable period
- Looking ahead, highlights include the BoE rate...
07 Feb 2018, 13:33
07 Feb 2018, 06:57
- Asian equity markets were mostly higher as region attempted to track the rebound on Wall St.
- FX markets were relatively range-bound overnight with EUR and GBP holding on to recent gains against the USD
- Looking ahead, highlights include the weekly DoEs and a slew of speakers
06 Feb 2018, 06:59
- Asia stocks continued the global equity sell-off and saw hefty losses across the board, as panic selling rolled over to the region
- In FX markets, safe-haven currencies were firmer with JPY boosted across the board and USD/JPY now below 109.00
- Looking ahead, highlights include Canadian trade, APIs, NZ jobs and a slew of...
05 Feb 2018, 07:02
- Major Asian bourses suffered deep losses after Friday’s slump on Wall St as markets re-price expectations for the Fed’s tightening cycle
- Price action in FX was relatively muted in which most major currencies languished after Friday’s post-NFP losses against the greenback
- Looking ahead, highlights include Eurozone, UK and US services PMI, ISM non-mfg...
Week In Focus: BoE, RBA & RBNZ All Convene, With Brexit Negotiations & Chinese Trade Providing Risk Elsewhere
02 Feb 2018, 17:54 by Samuel Indyk
Monday: Brexit Negotiations Round Begins
Tuesday: RBA Monetary Policy Decision, UK Services PMI (Jan)
Wednesday: New Zealand Labour Market Report (Q4)
Thursday: BoE Monetary Policy Decision & QIR, RBNZ Monetary Policy Decision, Chinese Trade Balance (Jan)
Friday: Canadian Labour Market Report (Jan), RBA Statement on Monetary...
02 Feb 2018, 06:57
- Asia equity markets traded mostly lower. Most major FX pairs were indecisive overnight amid a lack of key data releases and speakers
- UK PM May advisers are reportedly considering a customs union deal post-Brexit.
- Looking ahead, highlights include US NFP, Uni. Of Michigan (F), ECB’s Coeure, Fed’s Kaplan and...
01 Feb 2018, 07:01
- FOMC stood pat on rates as expected whilst tweaking its language surrounding inflation (widely-touted)
- Asian equities mostly higher following a positive close on Wall St. No sustained USD reaction post-FOMC
- Looking ahead, highlights include Eurozone, UK and US mfg PMIs, US ISM mfg, supply from Spain and France and a slew of...
31 Jan 2018, 07:03
- Asian equity markets initially in the red following the soft lead from Wall St.
- AUD notably weaker after Australian inflation data falls below expectations.
- Looking ahead, highlights include EuroZone inflation, German Unemployment, US ADP, Quarterly Refunding Announcement and FOMC rate...
30 Jan 2018, 07:06
- Asian markets traded lower across the board as the selling in US equity futures and retreat from record highs gathered pace overnight
- UK PM May will reject the EU’s proposed deal on the Brexit transition period and go into battle next week over freedom of movement and so-called “rule taking”
- Looking ahead, highlights include German regional and nation...
29 Jan 2018, 06:58
- Asia-Pac bourses traded somewhat mixed, as the region failed to maintain the early broad momentum from last Friday’s gains on Wall St.
- USD strengthened against its major counterparts in which EUR/USD briefly slipped below 1.2400 and AUD/USD gave up the 0.8100 hand
- Looking ahead, highlights include US personal consumption and...
26 Jan 2018, 17:48 by Samuel Indyk
Tuesday: Eurozone GDP (Q4, P)
Wednesday: FOMC MonPol Decision, Canadian GDP (Nov), Eurozone CPI (Jan, P), Australian CPI (Q4)
Friday: US Labour Market Report (Jan)
Monday will bring the release of the US PCE price index, alongside the...
26 Jan 2018, 07:01
25 Jan 2018, 07:01
24 Jan 2018, 06:55
- Asian equity markets traded mixed with the Nikkei 225 lagging its peers amid a firmer JPY
- In FX, USD woes persisted in which the DXY slipped to below 90.00 for the first time since late 2014
- Looking ahead, highlights include Eurozone and US Manufacturing PMI, UK Jobs Report, DoEs and NZ...
23 Jan 2018, 14:38
ECB Monetary Policy Decision Due At 12:45 GMT, Press Conference Due At 13:30 GMT
- Unanimous expectations look for the ECB to leave its tspanee key rates unchanged
- Focus will fall on what hints/if any Draghi delivers on the future path of the Bank’s PSPP
- Markets will also be looking out for any potential comments from the ECB President on the ongoing EUR...
23 Jan 2018, 07:04
- US Senate passes stopgap spending bill to reopen the government
- Bank of Japan keeps monetary policy instruments unchanged, attention turns to Kuroda
- Highlights today include German ZEW survey, EU Consumer Confidence and API oil inventories
22 Jan 2018, 06:58
Week In Focus: Hawks vs. Doves? The BoJ & The ECB Issue Their Latest Decisions, Will We Get Any Clarity From Either Bank?
19 Jan 2018, 18:37 by Samuel Indyk
Tuesday: Bank of Japan MonPol Decision
Thursday: ECB MonPol Decision, UK Labour Market Report (Nov/Dec), New Zealand CPI (Q4), Norges Bank MonPol Decision
Friday: US GDP (Q4, A), UK GDP (Q4, A)
Focus in the early part of the week is set to...
19 Jan 2018, 06:55
18 Jan 2018, 07:04
17 Jan 2018, 06:56
16 Jan 2018, 06:56
15 Jan 2018, 06:58
- Asian equity markets modestly in the green with sentiment buoyed from Friday’s Wall St. close.
- PBoC sets the strongest CNY since May’16, supporting AUD and NZD, while USD softens to 3yr low.
- Looking ahead, highlights include BoE’s...
Week In Focus: Bank of Canada, Will They Or Won’t They? Just How Strong Was Chinese GDP Growth In 2017?
12 Jan 2018, 18:27 by Samuel Indyk
Wednesday: BoC MonPol Decision
Thursday: Chinese GDP (Q4), UK Inflation Data (Dec), Australian Labour Market Report
The US will observe Martin Luther King Day on Monday, which will lead to lower liquidity conditions at the...