23 Jan 2018, 14:38
ECB Monetary Policy Decision Due At 12:45 GMT, Press Conference Due At 13:30 GMT
- Unanimous expectations look for the ECB to leave its tspanee key rates unchanged
- Focus will fall on what hints/if any Draghi delivers on the future path of the Bank’s PSPP
- Markets will also be looking out for any potential comments from the ECB President on the ongoing EUR...
23 Jan 2018, 07:04
- US Senate passes stopgap spending bill to reopen the government
- Bank of Japan keeps monetary policy instruments unchanged, attention turns to Kuroda
- Highlights today include German ZEW survey, EU Consumer Confidence and API oil inventories
22 Jan 2018, 06:58
Week In Focus: Hawks vs. Doves? The BoJ & The ECB Issue Their Latest Decisions, Will We Get Any Clarity From Either Bank?
19 Jan 2018, 18:37 by Samuel Indyk
Tuesday: Bank of Japan MonPol Decision
Thursday: ECB MonPol Decision, UK Labour Market Report (Nov/Dec), New Zealand CPI (Q4), Norges Bank MonPol Decision
Friday: US GDP (Q4, A), UK GDP (Q4, A)
Focus in the early part of the week is set to...
19 Jan 2018, 06:55
18 Jan 2018, 07:04
17 Jan 2018, 06:56
16 Jan 2018, 06:56
15 Jan 2018, 06:58
- Asian equity markets modestly in the green with sentiment buoyed from Friday’s Wall St. close.
- PBoC sets the strongest CNY since May’16, supporting AUD and NZD, while USD softens to 3yr low.
- Looking ahead, highlights include BoE’s...
Week In Focus: Bank of Canada, Will They Or Won’t They? Just How Strong Was Chinese GDP Growth In 2017?
12 Jan 2018, 18:27 by Samuel Indyk
Wednesday: BoC MonPol Decision
Thursday: Chinese GDP (Q4), UK Inflation Data (Dec), Australian Labour Market Report
The US will observe Martin Luther King Day on Monday, which will lead to lower liquidity conditions at the...
12 Jan 2018, 06:57
11 Jan 2018, 06:58
- Asian equity markets were mostly lower amid a dampened global risk tone. In FX, AUD outperformed its major peers after better than expected Retail Sales data
- China SAFE said that report on China mulling reduction in US Treasury purchases may cite a wrong source or be fake news.
- Looking ahead, highlights include ECB minutes, US PPI, Fed’s Dudley and supply...
10 Jan 2018, 07:02
- Asia failed to sustain the positive lead from Wall St where all US majors resumed their record setting performance
- JPY continued to firm following yesterday’s BoJ purchase tweaks with USD/JPY down a further 30+ pips on the session
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK production and trade data, US import and export prices, DoEs, Fed’s Bullard and...
09 Jan 2018, 06:59
- Asian Asia equity markets traded mostly higher as the region mirrored the tone seen in US, where all majors posted fresh record highs
- JPY strengthened on a reduced Rinban announcement in which USD/JPY slipped below 113.00
- Looking ahead, highlights include APIs, Fed’s Kashkari and supply from the Netherlands, Austria, Germany, UK and the...
08 Jan 2018, 06:57
- Asian equity markets trade mostly higher with Japanese markets closed for a public holiday
- FX markets traded mostly sideways with AUD slightly underperforming
- Highlights today include Eurozone consumer confidence and speeches from Fed’s Bostic, Williams & Rosengren
05 Jan 2018, 06:55
04 Jan 2018, 06:58
03 Jan 2018, 06:55
02 Jan 2018, 06:54
- Asian stocks began the year in positive territory, supported by strong Chinese data
- FX trade relatively sideways overnight with AUD the outperformer following Chinese manufacturing PMI
- Looking ahead, highlights include Eurozone, UK and US manufacturing PMIs
22 Dec 2017, 06:56
- Both the House and Senate passed the stop-gap measure which would avert a shutdown and keep the government funded tspanough to January 19th
- Unionist Citizens (anti-independence) party won the most seats in the Catalan Parliamentary Elections, although separatists groups collectively still retained a majority in Parliament and took 70 out of the 135-seat...
21 Dec 2017, 06:57
20 Dec 2017, 06:57
- US House initially voted 227 vs. 203 to pass the tax reform bill. However, it was later reported that the House hit a procedural snag
- US Senate voted 51 vs. 48 to approve the Republican tax bill as expected and sent the bill back to the House for a final vote
- Looking ahead, highlights include the Riksbank rate decision, DoEs and NZ...
19 Dec 2017, 06:57
- Asian equity markets were mostly positive as the region followed suit from US with the GOP now seen to have secured enough votes for passage of the tax bill
- EU's Barnier said that the UK cannot have a special deal for the City with Davis warning the EU that they cannot cherry-pick during trade talks
- Looking ahead, highlights include German IFO, US...
18 Dec 2017, 06:58
- Asia equity markets began the week mostly positive following Friday’s gains on Wall St. where tax reform optimism buoyed all major indices to record levels
- EU Brexit Chief Michel Barnier said the EU is not prepared to come up with a makeshift trade deal for the UK that knits together all the best bits of existing models
15 Dec 2017, 06:55
- Asian stocks were mostly lower as a downbeat tone rolled over from Wall St, where sentiment was pressured on tax reform discord
- ECB sources suggested that a minority of ECB rate setters wanted to signal guidance may change if inflation keeps accelerating
- Looking ahead, highlights include US Industrial Production, Baker Hughes Rig Count and the Brussels...